Does your Skype video work well?
Simple tips give better results
Meeting over Skype video saves travel time but the quality can suffer. Here are tips:
- use a fast Internet connection (wired beats WiFi)
- have good lighting on you (webcams have small sensors and low light creates blurriness)
- put your webcam at your eye level (more natural)
- have good audio (an external USB microphone works well)
- choose a quiet environment (microphones pick up extra sounds)
- restart your computer and avoid running other applications
We use a Logitech C920 webcam mounted on a tripod to adjust the height. Our lighting is daylight-balanced and from a softbox to reduce shadows (also used for the Question an Actuary videos).